Show of hands: Who LOVES slaving over the hot stove to make dinner on a hot summer day?
Alright, if you put your hand up, I know you’re a lying liar what lies at midnight.
The answer is: no one. No one likes making dinner on hot sticky summer days. Unfortunately, we all still have to eat, even if we don’t really feel like it – there’s something about the heat & humidity that’s a wonderful appetite suppressant.
I try my best to prep our summer suppers early in the day before I lose all motivation and I also try to stick to ‘simple’ meals that don’t require much in the way of the oven or the stove. We eat a lot of salad-style meals throughout the warmer months and they seem to satisfy everyone in the family – sometimes we have grilled sausages on the side, other times it’s a one-dish-meal.
Over the next few weeks, I’m going to be sharing some of our favourite summer supper salads with you – and I’m starting today with Italian Roasted Eggplant Salad. My kids have issues with food textures (I won’t lie, they come by it honestly) so I wasn’t sure how this recipe would go over given that eggplant can be a little sponge-y. However, they both (2.5 yrs & 4.5 yrs) loved it, especially when I added extra “Farmers on Cheese” (known in some households as Parmesan cheese…) to their plates. I made about 1.5x the recipe amount and we ate it as a sort of summer casserole, on its own.
- 1 large eggplant or ~4 small eggplants
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Slice eggplant lengthwise into ~1" thick slices, then soak in water for 15 minutes
- Drain water, toss eggplant slices with olive oil & salt.
- Grill over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Chop eggplant & toss with tomato, garlic, basil, oregano, & red wine vinegar.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste, garnish with shaved parmesan.
Latest posts by Jenn vanOosten (see all)
- Apple Cinnamon N’Oatmeal (Nut “Oat”meal) for a Paleo, High Protien, Low Carb Breakfast! - July 24, 2017
- The Aftermath of the Whole30 and the Beginning of Probiotics #RenewLifeCanada - June 30, 2017
- Success! #Whole30 #Day30 - June 12, 2017