Prepare yourself. This is the easiest and fastest ‘cake’ recipe you will ever find. As the title would suggest, this is a dump cake. Meaning, you grease your pan, dump your ingredients into it, and stick it into the oven. You don’t even have to dirty a spoon for this!
I can’t tell you where this recipe originated – all I know is that my mom has been making it for years and years, and now that I have a rhubarb patch in my back yard, this is my go-to recipe whenever I have to bring a treat to work, church, potlucks, etc., in the summer.
It’s so easy that my 5 year old son made it all on his own last week – with a little help pouring the butter & water and putting it into the fridge!
- 5-6 cups of fresh, raw rhubarb, chopped (~1" pieces)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package of strawberry Jello mix, unprepared
- 1 yellow or vanilla box cake mix, unprepared*
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- Spread rhubarb on bottom of prepared pan.
- Sprinkle sugar and then Jello powder evenly over the rhubarb.
- Spread the dry cake mix over the rhubarb/sugar/jello.
- Pour water and then butter evenly over the cake mix.
- Bake in 350 oven for 45-60 minutes, until cake top is golden.
- If you can wait, cool before serving (the jello will thicken and set as it stands). If you can't wait, let it sit at least 15 min and serve warm with ice cream.
- The original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar, but we found that to be way too much. I typically use between 1/3-1/2 cup sugar.
- Raspberry Jello powder also tastes great with the rhubarb - try it out for a different take on the dessert!
- *I often use much less than 1 box of cake mix - sometimes about 1/2 - to cut down on the sugar - but some have found that they need the whole box to make it set properly.
- For a very fresh summer taste, my friend Kim's favourite is raspberry Jello powder with Lemon boxed cake mix!
I have not yet personally met anyone who dislikes this cake – even rhubarb haters can’t hate this concoction!
Rhubarb lovers: pop on over to this No Bake Rhubarb Torte for another simple, easy & delicious spring recipe!
Latest posts by Jenn vanOosten (see all)
- The Aftermath of the Whole30 and the Beginning of Probiotics #RenewLifeCanada - June 30, 2017
- Success! #Whole30 #Day30 - June 12, 2017
- The TRUTH of my Whole30: How do I feel now that I’m almost done? - June 8, 2017