It’s finally here! After a long, cold winter, we can finally celebrate the lazy days of summer!! Somehow, though, it seems like we went from frigid windchill temperatures to extreme heat overnight! Since our family moved out to a farm house in the country a number of years ago, we have been learning about staying cool without air conditioning! Most of the time it’s not too bad, but with extended warm temperatures over a few days, it can get a little hot.
So after some tips from Pinterest, here are some of the ways we manage the heat and still enjoy our summer!
1. Block out all sunlight! It doesn’t have to look pretty, but it will be functional. My windows are all covered with various towels and blankets, thumbtacked to the top. They don’t have to be up ALL summer, but it’s a good idea for a stretch of hot weather. We can all notice the difference when the light is blocked out.
2. Pay attention to your appliance usage. It makes more sense to run a hot dishwasher late in the evening, rather than mid-day. Dry your clothes on a clothesline, to avoid heating up your house with the dryer. Don’t use your oven at all (BBQ, stovetop, and smaller appliances are good alternatives). If you must bake, do it in the evening. I use a slow cooker also, and have tried putting it outside on my porch, for the first time ever, to keep ALL the heat outdoors. I’m impressed with how that worked, and will definitely be doing it again.
3. Monitor the outdoor and indoor temperature. If it is cooler outside than in, open all your windows wide. Position fans to move the cool air around. Do this until the temperature starts to rise again.
4 . Use a variety of fans. We have an oscillating fan in the middle of our open-concept area, and smaller fans in different parts of the house. All the bedrooms have ceiling fans, and we are in the process of installing one in our living room as well. If the air is moving, rather than still and stagnant, it feels much cooler.
5. Get wet! Use the sprinkler, head to the beach, jump in the pool, or even take a lukewarm shower. It will lower your body temperature. Drink lots of water also!
6.Think cool! Surviving heat can be a mental thing. If you focus on how HOT it is, and how HOT it’s going to be, you will FEEL the heat. If you ignore it, and focus on a hobby or some games, you can feel cooler, even if you’re not.
What are some of your tried and true tips for staying cool without air conditioning?
Latest posts by Marya R (see all)
- Top 5 Things to do in New York City (without spending a fortune) - August 28, 2017
- DIY Ski Storage for Garage #palletideas - August 22, 2017
- Dude Perfect – Awesome YouTube Content - July 13, 2017