With the pace of our lives these days, we are all about quick! We love casseroles and crockpot dishes – pretty much anything you can throw together in one pot, bake, and enjoy! And fortunately for me, the kids prefer those kinds of meals to the traditional meat, potatoes and veggies meal.
So when I heard of the idea of a spaghetti casserole, I was intrigued!! Spaghetti really is one of the easier meals to make, but we love variations on it too. I decided to try a spaghetti pie, but made into little muffin tins, because let’s face it – everything tastes better in the “mini” version!! And in place of using those delicious (and less healthy) cheeses, like ricotta, I used Nordica 1% Cottage Cheese. It gave us a delicious, creamy taste with extra protein, while avoiding extra sodium and fat!
Recipe Card(Please excuse these pictures – my camera broke, and I’m using my ancient back-up camera. It’s painful!)
- 8 oz broken spaghetti, cooked
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 c. Nordica Cottage Cheese
- 1 lb ground beef, cooked with onions, garlic and peppers as desired
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- Toss cooked spaghetti with olive oil and beaten egg. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full of spaghetti.
- Spoon the cottage cheese over the noodles, dividing evenly among all the spaghetti.
- Combine the ground beef with the pasta sauce. Put about 1/3 c. of sauce onto each mini pie. There will be some left over.
- Top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, or until the cheese is golden.
- Serve with additional meat sauce on the side.
This recipe can be easily doubled for a second meal. You can even bake it in a (greased) round pie plate so it doesn’t look like leftovers the next day!
For more information on Nordica Cottage Cheese, or other Gay Lea products, head to the Gay Lea website. They have all kinds of delicious recipes and great suggestions for healthier alternatives to traditional recipes!
Are you making healthier choices this year? If so, what?
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are always my own.
Latest posts by Marya R (see all)
- Strong Female Characters on Netflix #streamteam - March 29, 2017
- Reusable Containers at Bulk Barn – No More Plastic! - March 28, 2017
- The Inspirational Women of Netflix #streamteam - November 25, 2016