Is there anything more comforting than the smell of a fresh batch of granola coming out of the oven? It brings me back to the days of sitting in my mother’s kitchen, waiting impatiently for the piping hot clumps of oats, sunflower seeds, & honey in her enamel roasting pan to cool down enough that they wouldn’t scald my fingers when I picked them out.
I’ve been trying to trim back my grocery bill so, instead of forking out $4-5 every week for a box of highly processed breakfast cereal (don’t get me wrong – I love every last bite of it!), I’ve been making my own granola once a week for about $3/batch. Besides being cheaper, it’s also more filling – a smaller serving leaves me satisfied much longer than a full bowl of cold cereal. When I’m trying to lose weight and get more healthy, as I’m doing right now, I get back to the basics – less wheat, more protein. This high protein granola is the perfect way to start my day!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup canola oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup natural peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (optional0
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees and line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small sauce pan, combine oil, honey, peanut butter, vanilla, & cinnamon. Heat through on low heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients (excluding the cranberries, if using). Pour in the peanut butter mixture and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread out on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove, stir, and bake again for another 20 minutes. Granola should be golden when ready to be removed. If the granola isn't looking finished, pop it back in again for a little longer and check regularly.
- Let cool on the counter in the pan, and store in an airtight container (add the cranberries at this step and mix through).
Latest posts by Jenn vanOosten (see all)
- Stand Up for Clean Water! March 22 is World Water Day #FilterForGood - March 22, 2017
- Cheeseburger & Fries Casserole - March 21, 2017
- The Great Spring Clean (aka, getting all the junk out!) #YesItsPineSol - March 20, 2017