Now that school has started, life has gotten a lot busier and more scheduled. Not only is there school and homework, but there are birthday parties, sports, piano lessons, and evening kids’ clubs. So with this busyness in life, I love simple but delicious meal ideas. This 10 Minute Cheddar Cheese sauce is so quick to make, and is so versatile – for veggies, noodles, or even tortilla chips! Who needs all the processed ingredients that come with that orange cheese in a jar, when you can make your own in just minutes, and it even tastes better!!
The secret ingredient is Gay Lea’s Ivanhoe Cheddar Cheese. Ivanhoe has a reputation for its high quality, aged cheddar cheese and specialty cheeses. As the oldest cheese company of its kind in Canada, it still remains a local attraction in the hamlet of Ivanhoe! They produce award-winning artisan cheddars, as well as an extensive selection of specialty cheeses including Naturally Smoked Gouda and flavoured Monterey Jacks.
All you need is:
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
salt & pepper to taste
2 c. milk
1 1/2 c. grated Ivanhoe Old Sharp Cheddar
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and seasonings, and whisk until there are no lumps left, cooking until it becomes a golden colour. This is called a “roux,” and is the base for all cream sauces.
2. Add the milk very slowly, whisking as you go. If you add it all at once, you will get lumps. Once all the milk is added, bring it to simmer, whisking constantly until it thickens.
3. Add the cheese, stirring until melted.
Enjoy over cooked veggies, fresh pasta, nachos, burritos, or even rice. You can add various seasoning, such as dry mustard powder, cayenne pepper, or even chili powder, depending on your desired level of spiciness.
For more great recipes and product information, head to the Gay Lea website.
Disclosure: I am part of the Gay Lea Ambassador Campaign with Mom Central Canada and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are always my own.
Latest posts by Marya R (see all)
- Top 5 Things to do in New York City (without spending a fortune) - August 28, 2017
- DIY Ski Storage for Garage #palletideas - August 22, 2017
- Dude Perfect – Awesome YouTube Content - July 13, 2017